Proud of our heritage
Our Glorious History
The hotel has built a reputation as one of London’s finest. Once a magnet for the great and good of the city, the traditional British influence is reflected to this day.
The Dilly is still the go to hotel for those that want to stay at the very centre of London. We are proud of our esteemed history dating back to Edwardian times.
1904 - 1921
1904 – The hotel was designed by Richard Norman Shaw, in a Neo-Baroque style based on 17th century English Palladian architecture.
1908 - The hotel opened as one of London’s most luxurious, originally known as The Piccadilly Hotel. The extensive hotel build only took an impressive 18 months to finish.
1910-1920 – The hotel became reminiscent of the high Edwardian style, attracting London’s great and good. Subsequently the hotel enjoyed the royal patronage of King George V.
1921 – The hotel was sold to a Welsh-catering company called RE Jones.
1950 - 2020
1950s – The hotel was sold again to Maxwell Joseph, who owned Grand Metropolitan Hotels, for £1.75 million. Later Gleneagles took over the hotel and closed it for 10 months for a massive £16 million refurbishment.
1986 – The property was taken over by Le Meridien Group at a cost of £31 million.
1994 – The hotel became part of the Forte Group which was then acquired by Granada in 1996. Archer Hotel Capital B.V. (formerly Host Hotels European JV) acquired the hotel in 2010.
2020 – The hotel was rebranded with a show-stopping new name, ‘The Dilly’, as it is known and loved today. Inspired by our central Piccadilly address, and fully embracing our London identity. A new name for a new era.